Did you know that files can be uploaded and downloaded on Blue Mountain RAM records?
This is possible with the Embedded Documents Module (EDM), an optional feature of Blue Mountain RAM, versions 5.3.4748.0 (R3 SR2) and newer.
Uploaded files of documents and images are stored in an exclusive, separate database that belongs to the Embedded Document Module (EDM). The EDM and Blue Mountain RAM databases “talk” to one another to keep track of which Blue Mountain RAM records have which EDM files. Examples of files you might wish to upload with EDM include validation documents, schematics, manuals, SOPs, equipment and staff photographs, other images, various certificates and external reports.
5 Things To Know About Using the EDM:
- The EDM and Blue Mountain RAM databases must be maintained as a matched pair. The EDM database stores the uploaded files along with their relationship information as to which Blue Mountain RAM record(s) reference them. The Blue Mountain RAM database stores the name of the EDM database along with the location of each uploaded file so it can be downloaded at the will of users. These two databases must always be backed up, restored and upgraded as a pair to ensure that their information does not become out of sync and the expected uploads are present for download.
- Files to be uploaded/embedded have a default size restriction of 4 MB, imposed by the Application Server’s web server. However, this restriction can be modified. An article titled, “Configuring Maximum Allowed Document Size,” describes modification of this setting and is available upon request from Blue Mountain. Please email email@example.com to request a copy.
- A file can be uploaded to the EDM database from a field on a record that has been configured in Form Setup for this purpose. After a file is uploaded in an Embedded Documents Module field, the field displays the filename and becomes the means to download the file whenever it is wanted.
- Files can be uploaded to the EDM database from a record’s Links Window (View Menu). The Links Window can hold multiple uploads in its rows. After a file is uploaded in one of the rows of the Links Window, the row becomes the means to download the file whenever it is wanted. The Add Embedded File button will be enabled after the installation of EDM.
- Please consult our Senior Software Developer, Kurt Kyle’s Blog Post, “How To Manage the Blue Mountain RAM and Document Databases,” for in-depth information on maintaining the database pair when you use EDM: https://www.coolblue.com/blog/blue-mountain-ram-tips/how-to-manage-the-blue-mountain-ram-and-document-databases/
Do you have EDM? Can you have EDM installed?
If you would like to check if your Blue Mountain RAM has EDM in place, open Blue Mountain RAM’s File Menu and select “User Options.” Then select the “System Information” tab in the small window that opens. If there is a row of information labeled “Document Manager,” EDM is installed. If that row is missing and the row labeled “Application Version Number” displays 5.3.4748.0 or higher, your version of Blue Mountain RAM can have the Embedded Document Module (EDM) installed.
For further information, consult your Blue Mountain RAM User and Administrator Manuals. If necessary, please contact our friendly Support Technicians at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Also, please enjoy calling and speaking with your Regional Sales Manager (RSM) at 800-982-2388 if you are interested in Blue Mountain RAM training or Services.