Blue Mountain Regulatory Asset Manager (Blue Mountain RAM) has an optional feature known as the Embedded Document Module (EDM). This feature provides users with the ability to upload and download document and image files within Blue Mountain RAM, such as:
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Work Certificates
- Equipment, Systems, and Parts Images
- Personnel Images
To find out if the EDM is installed in your system, follow these steps:
- Open Blue Mountain RAM’s File Menu and select ‘User Options’
- Select the ‘System Information’ tab
- If the EDM is installed, there will be a ‘Document Manager’ listing
The EDM feature can be utilized in record fields. It can also be represented by the ‘Add Embedded File’ button displayed in the Links window (found under the View Menu of many record types).
Let’s take a look at how to use the EDM feature to upload and download document and image files:
Using EDM in an EDM Field
EDM fields are identified by the presence of the ‘Download File Button’ .
How to Upload a File in an EDM Field
1) You must be in the Edit Mode to upload a document or image. Once in Edit Mode, click the ellipsis button to upload a file in the EDM field.
2) The ‘Embedded File Selection’ Dialog will open. Click the ‘Browse’ button to open a browsing window and locate the file you wish to upload.
3) You may need to change the File Type Pick List to All Files (*.*) to see your file.
4) Highlight the located file and click the ‘Open’ button.
5) The browsing window will close and the file name will appear in the ‘Embedded File Selection’ Dialog’s Embedded Document field.
6) Click the ‘Upload’ button to initiate the upload.
7) When the upload is complete, the ‘Embedded File Selection’ Dialog will close and the file will appear in the EDM Field.
8) Save the record to keep your changes and make the file available to Blue Mountain RAM users.
How to Download a File from an EDM Field
As previously noted, EDM fields can be documents or images. First, let’s look at an example of a Document EDM Field in View Mode. Click the ‘Download File Button’ to download and view the listed file.
Next, let’s look at an example of an Image EDM Field in View Mode. With an Image EDM Field, thumbnails of the uploaded image files are displayed in the fields. Click the ‘Download File Button’ to download and view the full-size file.
Using EDM in the Links Window
To access the Links window, click ‘Links’ in the View Menu (available with many record types):
Example of what the Links window looks like in the View Mode when there aren’t any listings.
NOTE: EDM listings can be downloaded while the record is in View or Edit Mode, however, listings can only be uploaded when the record is in Edit Mode.
How to Upload a File from the Links Window
1) Once in Edit Mode, navigate to the View Menu > ‘Links’ and click the ‘Add Embedded File’ button to open the ‘Embedded File’ Dialog. Indicate whether the upload will be an Embedded Document or an Embedded Image.
2) Click the ellipsis button to open the ‘Embedded File Selection’ Dialog and proceed the same way as when selecting a file for an EDM field. (Clicking the ‘Upload’ button initiates the selected file’s upload, and upon completion, the ‘Embedded File Selection’ Dialog closes.)
3) The file is now listed in the ‘Embedded File’ Dialog’s Embedded Document field. Next, select either ‘Add’ or ‘Add and Close’.
- Click ‘Add’ to list the item in the Links window and retain the ‘Embedded File’ Dialog to add another file.
- Click ‘Add and Close’ to list the item in the Links window and close the ‘Embedded File’ Dialog.
NOTE: Upload File size is limited. If a file you attempt to upload exceeds the limit, the upload will fail and the following message will appear: ‘Maximum request length exceeded’. If you wish to increase the file size limit, contact your Blue Mountain RAM Administrator or Blue Mountain Technical Support. We can provide you with instructions or put you in touch with the appropriate person. This task can be performed by someone with access to the Blue Mountain RAM servers.
If you have questions, consult the Blue Mountain RAM User and Administrator Manuals. As needed, contact our friendly Support Technicians at email@example.com with questions. Also, please enjoy calling and speaking with your Regional Sales Manager (RSM) at 800-982-2388 if you are interested in Blue Mountain RAM ideas, training, or services.