Did you know that… Blue Mountain RAM’s Spare Parts Records can be cross referenced as allowable substitutions?
Blue Mountain RAM offers two record types under the heading of “Inventory”:
- Parts- These records identify spare parts, their quantities, storage locations, and uses.
- Like-For-Like Parts- These records document allowable substitutions between your spare parts, and for which uses. Defined substitutions are not automatically considered two-way, as reversed substitutions are not always allowable.
Besides creating Parts records to provide yourself and others with information about your spare parts, consider creating For-Like Part records to provide ready solutions to situations that could cost you time and money.
“What do I do now?” wonders Bob, as the Spare Parts Manager tells him the part he needs is out-of-stock. When you document allowable substitutions on Like-For-Like Parts records, Bob can go to Blue Mountain RAM, open the Part record’s VIEW menu, select “View Like-For-Like”, and instantly see:
- All authorized replacement parts (substitutions)
for the part
- All parts for which this part is an authorized
It is simple to create a Like-For-Like Part record.
- In Queries, expand Inventory, Like-for-Like Part Queries, and highlight a query title (you may need to enable the record type or build a query first).
- Click NEW and list the record ID of a Source Part (the spare part that can be replaced) and of a Replacement Part (the spare part that can replace it).
- Go to the Uses tab. The Source Part’s uses are listed (this data comes from the Source Part’s Parts record).
- Remove any Uses that are not allowable for the replacement part.Enter other data as you wish, and save the new Like-For-Like Part record.
For more information, consult your Blue Mountain RAM manuals. If necessary, contact us for downloads of the manual PDFs. Consider attending a Blue Mountain Regulatory Asset Manager Training to learn about this subject as well as many, many more! Visit www.coolblue.com to learn more about training and schedules.