A common question Blue Mountain’s Technical Support is asked is, “Can I print my Work Plan Template steps?” The answer is yes. Did you know that Blue Mountain RAM queries can be exported to Microsoft Excel, formatted for appearance, and then printed? This is one example of how you can print your Work Plan Template (WPT) steps .
Remember that is is important to test the output of a query to make sure the information you see is accurate to your intentions. A good way of testing this is to identify a selection of various records that you want your query to find, run the query, and see if your identified records are found. If one was not found, apply the query design’s criteria to the characteristics of that record. Which of the criteria does the record fail to meet? Should the record be excluded? Should the query’s criteria be adjusted?
When you reach the point of satisfaction concerning the records your query finds, do another test. Open a few of the other records found by the query and verify they are rightfully included. If so, you are ready for the last test. Ask a fresh set of eyes to review your new query and try to find problems. When that is finished, you are ready to start using the query. Remember that you can have unlimited columns in a Blue Mountain RAM query and all columns will export.
Steps for Building and Exporting a Query of Work Plan Template Steps
1) In Blue Mountain RAM, open the Go To menu and select Query Design.
2) In the right-side of Query Design, on the toolbar, click the New button.
3) A new, blank Query Designer window opens. Fill out the header of the window:
- Query Name – WPT Steps -QF 1- Export- Print
- Query Type – WP Templates
- Record Type – WP Template
- Description – Displays all WPTs and their steps
- Select “Is Shared Query” (Later, you will pick groups that may see the query.)
4) Fill out the “Columns Headers” tab of the window. Add columns for the WPT names and information in their steps.
- Template Name
- Step No
- Step Details
- WPT Status
- Criteria Type
- Expected Result
- Lower Limit
- Upper Limit
5) Fill out the “Criteria” tab of the window. (All WPTs and steps are wanted, so no criteria is needed.)
6) Fill out the “Sorting” tab of the window. Click the Insert Button and select ‘Template Name’ ascending, and then ‘Step No’ ascending.
7) Fill out the “Flags” tab of the window. (No Flags are needed for this query.)
8) Save the query design.
9) Open the “Actions” menu and select “Set Security Rights.”
10) Using the Insert Button, list groups on the five Rights Tabs, according to the rights you wish to provide to this query title. Click OK to save your choices.
11) Now it’s time to run the query and use QuickFind to select a specific WPT. All of the selected WPTs’ steps will be listed in step order.
12) In Queries, expand: WP Templates > WP Template, and highlight “WPT Steps- QF 1- Export Print” to run the new query. (You may need to refresh the Query Tree before the new title is visible.)
13) Use the QuickFind Button to filter one WPT to display. For example: Template Name; Begins With; <StartOfNameOfWPT>
14) Now, click Blue Mountain RAM’s Query Export Button . A window or bar will display, asking if you wish to open or save the export file. Make your choice. (I am choosing OPEN.)
15) Microsoft Excel opens and displays the exported data. There is no formatting.
16) Format the information as you wish and save your work. Use Microsoft Excel printing.
If you wish, you can save time formatting each export in the following way: Make a copy of your formatted export, delete the data, and save the empty, formatted spreadsheet. Each time you have exported a WPT’s steps, open a copy of this empty formatted spreadsheet and paste the exported data into its empty formatted cells like so:
1) Highlight all data except the first column (‘Template Name’) and copy.
2) In the first cell of the first row of the ‘Step No’ column of the formatted, empty worksheet, right-click and select the PASTE OPTION of VALUES (V). This option enters the data and keeps the formatting already set up in the cells.
3) In the same fashion, copy and paste (choose Values (V)) the Template Name at the top of the sheet. Use Microsoft Excel printing. Save your work if you wish.
When you have questions, consult the Blue Mountain RAM User and Administrator Manuals. If necessary, contact our friendly Support Technicians at email@example.com with questions. Also, please enjoy calling and speaking with your Regional Sales Manager (RSM) at 800-982-2388 if you are interested in Blue Mountain RAM ideas, training, or services.